Re: GSBN:Compression for infill

I apologize to have begun these questions about compression and while
traveling the rest of the week, found I had no email service. You all
may have thought I just dropped off the face of the earth, but just
found myself in the snow dusted canyons of Utah while I did some work there.
Thank you all for responding. I have heard now of a variety of systems,
not all of which I have full details on, but it's starting to be an
interesting collection.
I do have a few q's...
Brian, how do you deal with post height and connection with the
compression using the box beam approach? And John, in the method below
for your rare infill projects, are you compressing with your all thread
approach? What does the compression method attach to?  S'ppose any other
photos might answer much.
Catherine, if you do get Brian's book in for sale, would you post a
notice for us?
Again, thanks all for your thoughts and any follow up photos.
Laura

John Glassford wrote:

G ' day Bill and Rikki

The hole at the top or gap is dealt with in two or more ways depending
on the deisgn of the building.  In the case of the South Coat House
the architect designed the walls to fit below double glazed windows on
a rake.  This worked well except for the fact that we had to make sure
we achieved an exact height all round of 2.405 metres.  We had a
tolerance of 5mm.  The rods achieved this and we got a 100mm
compression from a 7 bale high wall. We were also within 5 mm all
round after compression.

Nikki I will send you some photos off list which will help explain.

The other way is to build the wall to 250mm below the height of the
top plate on the in-fill and then pre-compress 100mm or whatever the
test wall showed prior to building, then you have a gap or hole at the
top of 350mm which will take one bale usually forced in for a tight
fit above the straw bale wall.  This method has worked well for us
when we do in-fill which is rare, as we usually build load bearing
homes.

Kind regards
John Glassford
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions