RE: GSBN:Bale to frame connection and frame height for infill construction

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your email regarding the height of the timber structure and
frame to bale connection

With infill we need the ring beam to be higher than the finished height
of the straw bale wall so that the top boxing does not get in the way of
the connection of the rafters or trusses to the ring beam. We can
achieve 7% compression with the polyester strapping with good tight
bales, so if you establish the height of your straw bale wall with the
bales relaxed and then deduct 5% you will end up with the top of the
posts and ring beam protruding above the top boxing on the straw bale
wall. The connection of the bales to the frame is done by inserting
noggings between the rafters over the top of the top boxing. These
infill blocks would extend from the top boxing to the top of the rafter,
which is secured to the top boxing with 3" nails. It can either be fixed
to the front of the top boxing or skew nailed to the top of the top
boxing. I have attached a copy of the drawing from my book, which I
trust will help to clarify my explanation.

Once the infill noggings are fixed in place, the roof sarking would be
laid over the top of the rafters and a roof batten fixed directly over
the top of the infill noggings. The sarking should extend beyond the
outer edge of the straw bale wall, so that any condensation can drop
clearly to the outside of the building. We would normally extend the
sarking to the gutter. By fitting the roof batten over the infill block
you will prevent vermin entering the roof cavity.

When rendering, we would cover the top boxing and exposed top of the
bale with render. The roof/ceiling insulation can then be positioned so
as to bridge the gap between the roof and wall top, so as to avoid a
thermal bridge.

I trust this helps, and look forward to hearing from you again shortly.

Regards
Brian