Re: GSBN:Straw-bale LEED-Gold building... "worlds first"??

On Mar 8, 2007, at 4:14 AM, Tom Hahn wrote:

So, one of my crew passed this link along to me...

<<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.interiordesign.net/id_newsarticle/CA6404395.html";>http://www.interiordesign.net/id_newsarticle/CA6404395.html</a>>http://
www.interiordesign.net/id_newsarticle/CA6404395.html

...about a huge new CNG fueling facility for the City of Santa
Clarita in California that is built using straw-bale and is LEED-Gold
certified.

Does anyone know anything about, or did they work with HOK on this?

I, and at least one other unnamed person on this list, were called in
to fix the many screwups made by the architect (both firm and lead
designer) and the structural engineer in designing that building.  I
believe most fixes were made before they finished the building, but so
far as I could see it was a stunning case of architectural hubris -- no
one ever heeded the advice they were given to seek local SB help in
design, and they completely ignored the many well-articulated concerns
of the straw bale builder before construction -- who they then tried to
scapegoat when things got ugly.

I suppose the building will perform well enough now, but that project
alone hugely diminished my regard for the architect, the engineer, and
LEED for giving it a gold certification.

Phooey.

an unnamed structural engineer