Re: GSBN:RE: 5 perms / no ventilation; and top-of-wall

At 08:54 AM 3/9/2007, Rene Dalmeijer wrote:
...it depends on the diurnal temperature swing...

Rene,

        The diurnal difference is something I think none of us even
considered. Even during the coldest times, most of this region will
generally see close to a 10C or better daily spread. I'll pass this
info back along the line, with props to you.

        I don't know what kind of continuing relationships these
builders have with the occupants of the houses that prompted these
questions; hopefully there is some kind of dialog, or the capacity
for one to develop.

        Avoiding needless cold bridging is well pursued by the
contractor-practitioners that were at the meeting; some
owner-builders (and, sadly, too many professionals) don't seem to
have quite fully grasped its significance, though. More education all around.

        It really does seem to me that nonprofessionals and
professionals alike are getting increasingly savvy to the nuances and
science of this stuff, which is pleasing. Still, we have to accept
the potential (perhaps likelihood) for some high-profile failures in
the U.S., or maybe an aggregate of smaller ones, which I'm kind of
surprised hasn't happened yet. It's good that the literature, the
built stock, and popular knowledge all continue to grow and improve;
I think the material and movement are ever-better-positioned to
respond if anything like that were to happen.