GSBN:Warning Signs was:Re: [Strawbale] 5 perms / no ventilation; and top-of-wall (Mark Piepkorn)

On 3/12/07, Sigi Koko sigikoko@... wrote:<snip>

On the other hand, if a barrier
over the top of the bale wall detours any leaks to the sides of the wall,
it
will create a stain in the plaster, indicating to the building
owner/occupant that there is a moisture issue to be dealt with.

This is a subject that I've been discussing lately with Dan Smith and
Dietmar at DSA in regard to specific details, and I think it deserves a
thread of it's own.  The ability of straw to store moisture has a down side,
we're discovering--the wall can be soaked and the occupants might not know
it.  This is particularly true of a leak is affecting an exterior ,
crawlspace, joist space, or some other area that could go unnoticed.

We used to detail moisture barriers so that water would be shunted to the
outside.  Now we're considering shunting any leaks to the inside, where the
(previously) happy homeowner would more quickly notice that there is a
problem.  The initial higher cost of repair (say, to a nice wood floor)
would be offset by early warning that could prevent more expensive
structural damage.

Whaddyall think?

John (Stainless) Swearingen

Well, ok, it's true that I have stains on my shirt I never noticed, but at
least my wife sees them.....

John
--
John Swearingen