Re: GSBN:Re: Adobe (was: Book)

The 'Origin of Words' states that 'Adobe' comes from Spanish, French,
Arabe: 'Toub'. Of course 'Toub' is written in our 'what's-it-called'
alphabet and theirfore a phonetic appoach rather than an exact term.
Most algériens I asked say it means 'unfired earthen brick' but one
person insisted it indicates the type of clay used to make unfired
earthen bricks (simular to Loam, 'Lehm' in German or 'Leem' in Dutch).

The question of pre-Moorish earthen constuction in Spain is indeed an
interesting one. I wonder how much we know of non Roman, earthen, pré
711AD building in Spain Or anywhere else in Europe for that matter. I'm
sure I once read that wood (and thatched roofs) was the most used
building method in most of Europe until a century or 2 ago. Spain too
was covered with forrests before they cut it all to go discover that the
world was not flat...

In Andalousie (the very south, 40 km from Morocco) Rammed earth and
stone masonry with earth mortar is what I saw most in old buildings, but
I have no clue what was done before 711AD.

Bye,
André

Derek Roff a écrit :
I'm interested in Bob's questions, too.  Perhaps pre-Moorish earthen
construction in Spain was similar to what we now call cob and/or
wattle and daub.  It's also possible that a technique similar to adobe
was used, but the ancient name was replaced by a word introduced by
the Moors.

If I remember correctly, the Moors entered Spain around 711 AD.  There
must be records of the Roman structures in Spain, from earlier
periods, but those would tell us what the foreign elite built, not
what "the people" were building.  I wonder how much is known about
pre-Moorish vernacular construction in Spain.  Perhaps some of our
European members can enlighten us.

Derek