Re: GSBN:Stone Veneer over Bales

At 6:32 PM -0700 3/18/07, Bob Bolles wrote:
We are in the process of designing several "Up-Scale and
Environmentally Friendly", 2-story Straw Bale homes in Southern
California - Unfortunately, they will be rather large; 5,000 Sf (465
Sq Meters).

The clients, architect and contractor have agreed on a Tuscany style
which will include a (concrete-based) "stone" veneer on the tower. I
have already vetoed the stone over the Bales, but I felt that it
would be best to run it past all of you just in the unlikely event
that someone had figured out a way to make stone cladding vapor
permeable (Yes, I know that's an oxymoron).

Perhaps you could treat the stone veneer as a sort of rain screen...
If the bales were plastered first to remove problems with fire and
vermin and such, then the stone could be laid up in front of it -
there's typically some gap between the stone and whatever's behind it
anyway.  At least, that's how they do it around here.  Add in
ventilation top and bottom, and you're home free.