Re: GSBN:Stone Veneer over Bales

Bill,

I am reacting specifically to your last remark. Brick building is the
normal practice here including cavity walls for bigger more expensive
buildings stone is often used varying from the first few courses right
up to the first story. Even though the cavity is well ventilated it
tends to be very moist for a long time after rain. Ie meaning it is not
home free as you suggest. In circumstances where this moisture is a
problem for instances where the inner wall is wood frame.

The practice for these cases, where the inner surface is not brick or
concrete, is now to make it very open, all butts are left open to
vastly improve ventilation in the cavity. This practice works best with
slim (in height) bricks or stone and relatively narrow butt joints. The
butts are not more then 1/8-3/16" and the course height is roughly 2-3"
This could work with a straw bale inners but I have no experience
besides this you will have to work out a way of anchoring the stone
veneer to the SB wall without creating problems in the SB plaster
surface.

I seriously prefer the fake stone scribing as suggested by others.
Which means you can see what is going on and is much closer to proven
practice.

Rene