RE: GSBN:Re Thermal Properties of Straw Bale Walls

John,

For all intents and purposes, the value per inch is constant once you get
to the size of a bale.  It might not be if you were dramatically
down-sizing from the test specimens, but going larger, relative uniformity
is a safe assumption.  What we found in the ORNL test was about 1.47 per
inch (3.82/m Aussie).  Since the render adds mass w/o any significant
insulation, the 36" bale wall you are considering should be about R-53
(~R-9.4 Aussie).
Hope this helps.

Nehemiah Stone
stoneandstraw@...