Re: GSBN:Re Thermal Properties of Straw Bale Walls

Nehemiah -

Good explanations.

You talked about the straw-stuffed gaps at the top and sides of a wall as
being places where convective losses could occur.  So I'll add the thermal
importance of stuffing vertical joints/gaps between bales for the same
reason of limiting convective losses.  (This would also be important between
bales and "posts" that go mostly or all the way through the thickness of the
wall.  I've seen I-joists or steel trusses used this way.)

Straw-clay seems the best material for this purpose, although too much clay
might increase conductive heat loss in the stuffed area.  Horizontal joints
between bales don't seem to be an issue because the weight of the bales
appear to cause the surfaces to lock in well enough to limit air movement
between them (although the French dipped bales might seal that joint even
better, and bales on-edge probably nestle together better than laid-flat).

Then there's always the question of what material is between the bottom of
the plates, and what the insulative qualities of the roof bearing assembly
are.  And then there's the ceiling/roof, and the windows/doors, and the
amount of infiltration throughout, and . . . . .

Martin Hammer