Re: GSBN:Re Thermal Properties of Straw Bale Walls

G ' day Andre

Not easy dipping zee jumbo bales mate.

I like the concept of dipping bales but it is not very practical even
with small bales IMO.

We prefer to build them in the raw and do a solid pre-compression and
then fill any gaps with a cob mix.

Here is a students view of one of our workshops:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://homepage.mac.com/rhferguson1/PhotoAlbum6.html";>http://homepage.mac.com/rhferguson1/PhotoAlbum6.html</a>

Getting back to load bearing jumbo bales we make sure that the bales
have good straight ends which we make even straighter with a chain saw
or brush cutter.  This way there are few if any gaps to fill in a
wall.

See the house on the South Coast with very sharp corners using small bales:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.glassford.com.au/South%20Coast%20NSW.htm";>http://www.glassford.com.au/South%20Coast%20NSW.htm</a>

We achieved excellent pre-compression and with good bales zero holes
to fill in even though it is an in-fill.
--
Kind regards
El Lupo