Re: GSBN:"squaring" round corners

Rikki,

I first saw redistribution of the rounded bale end doen bij Lars Keller at the ISBBC in Australie. I can't remember his exact technique based on his method though I developed a technique for really tight bales using a claw hammer. You ram the claw of the hammer in the "belly" thus yanking a wad of straw downwards roll the bale over to the other side and repeat the procedure this works really fast and is very effective in getting a square bale. It does not work for floppy bales.

Rene
On May 25, 2007, at 13:07, Rikki Nitzkin wrote:

Barbara Jones taught me a method which makes a huge difference in getting a
tight fit between bales:

Before placing the bale, you take the "belly" part at the end and with a pulling/twisting/pushing motion re-distribute the straw up and down the end of the bale. This gives you a relatively flat surface which makes a tighter
fit and a lot less stuffing.

Rikki Nitzkin
Aul?s, Lleida, Espa?a
rikkinitzkin@...
(0034)657 33 51 62
www.casasdepaja.com (Red de Construcci?n con Balas de Paja)

-----Mensaje original-----
De: GSBN [<a target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] En nombre de Andr&eacute; de Bouter
Enviado el: viernes, 25 de mayo de 2007 8:17
Para: GSBN
Asunto: Re: GSBN:Re Thermal Properties of Straw Bale Walls

During a BWB workshop Ari Gore shared yet another little improvement for getting rid of the holes between the bales layed flat as the bales tend to have rounded corners on the up- and bottom side. Simply lay a handful of straw on the joints between the bales before you place the next row.

 ______ * _____ * _____ * _____  * _____
|______ ||______ ||______ ||______ ||______ |

Also place a handful next to the bale before placing the next one.

|______ |
               *

A lot easier than pushing the straw (or straw-clay) in once the wall is
up.

And you'll notice that bales on edge (or on end for that matter) match
much better (the rounded corners are now on the surface and easily
plastered.

Bye,
Andr?

billc a ?crit :