Re: GSBN: Wind loads and racking

G ' day Andrew

Sorry to see that you are asked for pinning renders as requested by
your engineer for this job.  I just do not see the need for such a
method with renders even in your cyclone areas.

We are adopting a tie down method for both infill and load bearing
call it a hybrid if you like.  I always thought that the Queensland
tie down method was overkill until we used it and it can be seen here:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.glassford.com.au/Custom_meredith.htm";>http://www.glassford.com.au/Custom_meredith.htm</a>

and

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.glassford.com.au/Custom_beaufort.htm";>http://www.glassford.com.au/Custom_beaufort.htm</a>

We are placing all thread in pairs every 1.8 metres and beside each
window and door opening.  It is  easy and works very well.  The all
thread is anchored to the footings and up through the top plates.  We
also use the method on in-fill frames:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.glassford.com.au/South%20Coast%20NSW.htm";>http://www.glassford.com.au/South%20Coast%20NSW.htm</a>

Renders with both earth and lime we use a 10mm square fibre mesh
between the last coat and penultimate cost as well we fold the mesh
around window and door openings to prevent any cracking.  It works
very well and we do not tie it in with any pins.  If you want your
engineer to liase with ours please let me know it may help your cause.
See above web site for the details.

All the best

John Glassford
Huff 'n' Puff Constructions