GSBN:Snow loads and load bearing. Is it a lost cause ?!!!

Dear GSBN'ers

In Norway a permit was recently given a go-ahead to a 50 building
strong eco-village. By far the grandest ever in Norway.

It has this far been our plan to build the very first of the houses
using mini bigbales in a loadbearing construction.

BUT Ð and this is the reason I write to you: when the other day we sat
down and looked very carefully at Bruce Kings data in his amazing book
"Design of Straw Bale Buildings", it appears to us that we discovered,
that loadbearing, clayplastered, onestory buildings are NOT an option
in Norway.

Given that:
the snowload varies from 2.5 kN/m2 to 8 kN/m2
adding up the snow load, including dynamic load, the roof itself, and
a build in loft, this adds up to 43 kN/m2 on the loadbearing straw
bale wall.
Basing the calculation on a hybrid construction we get 24,5 kN/m2
straw bale wall.

According to Bruce's book these figures are WAY beyond the limit.

Can anyone please tell me that we're wrong ?

Best regards
Lars Keller

--
jomorandin@...