Re: GSBN:Cemento (combined responses)

What are some examples of using less Portland cement to do the same
job?  Adding fly ash has been mentioned.  Rob Tom advocated the
development of an inside out insulated concrete form, where the
concrete skins would be on the outside, and the foam in the middle.
Rene and maybe Lars talked about using a small amount of cement, to
cement seashells together, with lots of air gaps.  Living near
volcanoes, pumice-crete uses the same idea, with a little cement and a
lot of pumice.  A cement grade beam on a rubble trench saves a lot of
concrete, with potentially superior performance.  Each of these
approaches can save many tons of cement, while using local, low
embodied energy materials such as seashells, rock or pumice.

Other examples and techniques?

Derek

--On Wednesday, July 4, 2007 9:39 PM -0400 John Straube