Re: GSBN:Cemento (combined responses)

Hi, Martin,

Thanks for your summation, with which I agree.  I would like to hear
more on one point.  You say:

Re: less bearing capacity in a rubble trench foundation, I estimate
it has 70-85% the capacity of a solid concrete foundation. (With the
same foundation widths and soil bearing capacities.)

I am comfortable with your estimate, but I request that you say more
about the "same foundation widths" part.  In my limited experience,
foundation widths don't tend to be equal.  Soil bearing capacity is
almost always sufficient for a foundation width much narrower than the
bales.  So the architect and builder are faced with a dilemma.  A
concrete foundation as wide as the bales increases materials costs.  A
narrow foundation requires some additional detail to support the full
width of the bales.  I think the latter is the more common choice.

Widening a rubble trench foundation to the width of the bale will
usually incur a lower cost penalty.  Most of the rubble trench
foundations that I have seen for SB houses were made at the bale width
or wider.

My conclusion is that most rubble trench foundations for SB are wider
than concrete foundations for SB.  I wonder if your experience is
similar.  Using your 70-85% estimate, and the greater width of the
rubble trench, I'm thinking that the bearing capacities would be
similar.  Again, I welcome your comments.

Derek

--On Monday, July 9, 2007 10:01 AM -0700 Martin Hammer