Re: GSBN:Securing Bales

On Aug 27, 2007, at 1:25 PM, Joyce Coppinger wrote:

I've heard from a couple of people that some builders are not securing
the
bales with interior staking, exterior pinning, stitching, securing
bales
with dowels through the box column, not using rebar coming up out of
the
foundation or stem wall or footings.

In the EBNet out-of-plane tests (a uniform, steady pressure against the
face of the wall),
we didn't use any of that.  The bales were just stacked, no
compression, and mesh was applied to each face (but not through-tied),
then stapled all around to the frame.

They performed just fine, and did everything you would want.  It's
BETTER to tie the mesh through the wall, especially for large (very
tall or wide) walls and in seismic country, but not otherwise
necessary.  It's generally also better to fasten things together at all
joints rather than not, and the wall is much stiffer with external
pins.  But we were trying to find where "minimum necessary" was, and
found that dowels -- inside or outside -- just aren't necessary.

Bruce King