Re: GSBN:Securing Bales

My experience is the same for most reasonably sized walls. The
attachment of mesh at material transitions & bucks has been adequate in
most cases. The "velcro" pad of nails that John refers to is also what
we use now.

For taller walls, I'd be curious to hear who else uses a mid-height girt
with compression for stiffening and what the construction of the girt
is. I have two projects, one commercial, one public, where we are
looking at this.

That said, when wind loads are high, even smaller walls seem to benefit
from reinforcement (external pinning) during construction even if it is
not called out as needed structurally after plaster.

Laura Bartels

John Swearingen wrote:

We haven't used dowels for years, since a good mesh/plaster skin does the
job as well or better.  We occasionally use rebar pins on the outside when
tying the skins together, but that is only if the wall needs very high
performance.  20D nails driven an inch or so into the plates, with heads
sticking up, at 16" o.co, is much more effective at keeping bales from
slipping that a couple of rebar dowels.

John