Re: GSBN: Lime plaster problems

Andy,

We have dealt with freezing temps with lime plaster with very little
consequence.  My first reaction is that the wind and fast drying time
would be the biggest culprit.  We have also done lime over earth plaster
with good results so I don't think tearing off the earth base coats is
necessary.

I would suggest taking off the lime coat in a small area and re-apply a
test patch of the same stuff under more desirable conditions to observe
if you can get better results.  Make sure to really wet the wall prior
to applying it.

Jeff Ruppert, P.E.
Principal
Odisea LLC <<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.odiseanet.com/";>http://www.odiseanet.com/</a>>

*/Front Range Office    /*        */West Slope Office/*
1460 Lee Hill Road, #7       337 Main Ave (physical)
Boulder, CO 80304              P.O. Box 1505 (mailing)
303.443.4335                        Paonia, CO 81428
303.443.4355 fax                  970.948.5744
                                               1.866.795.6699 fax
jeff@...
www.odiseanet.com

John Swearingen wrote:
Andy,

It seems to me that major problems were weather related, the drying wind and
freezing. You don't say just how smooth the earth plaster was before lime
was applied. If it's a porous material the lime would be able to adhere even
without scarfing.

The lime plaster needs to be removed in any case, and you could no doubt get
some teenagers to deface the surface of the earth plaster for a small fee.
Then try again in warm weather, or move the building south to a warmer
climate.

John