Re: GSBN:Re: Strawbale walling query

Hi Tom,

  A comment from Denmark is that here, if people do a post and beam structure, it is strongly advised by all, that they do not have the bales between the posts, if they are of roundtimber. I couldn't see if that was the case here. But in other words, yes, there are several exsamples of houses where the walls are standing apart from the posts. Never the less, I have had very good experience at one house where, the bales were put at approximately 2 " from the posts, and a iron rod was put through the bale and into the post, to control the wall, but still have space behind the post, so that the plaster can go without any interference.
  Ofcourse eaves of 1 m - 2 meters all the way around the house would be great. Here a lot of people consequently put a wooden paneling on the south and western side of the house, to not have to face to much maintainence on those to hardest hit directions. Otherwise there are a lot of good exsamples of limeplaster for those to sides. DK probably has a mild kind of Irland climate.

  Yours Caroline

Tom Woolley woolley.tom@... wrote:

I had a meeting today with a young Belfast architect, Siobhan Brown,
who is designing a strawbale house for a self builder in County
Fermanagh ~Northern Ireland

I don't think Siobhan has much experience of SB but she has had a
good go at the design mainly based on details in a book by Chris Magwood

The client wants to built a post and beam structure for the house and
then wrap the strawbale walls around the outside of the posts.
She was not proposing to tie the walls into the posts as she says
that Magwood's details do not show this.
She was planing to tie the wall plate to the rafters of the roof. The
house is single storey but with rooms in the loft. so the floor
joists for the upper floor will be part of the roof structure.

I have misgivings about this . I wonder if anyone has built a
strawbale house where the bale walls are not load bearing and are
wrapped around the outside of the structural posts without being tied
into them? The posts will be about 4 metres apart.

Fermanagh has to have 100% humidity all year round with a lot of
heavy winds and driving rain. If you stand still for 5 minutes moss
will grow on your head. I also think the walls will need a rain screen

I would have thought a more solid structure would involve placing
sections of bale walls between the posts and being tied into them

Any useful comments and I will pass them onto Siobhan

thanks

Tom Woolley
woolley.tom@...
Rachel Bevan Architects