Re: GSBN:Re: Strawbale walling query

I know that many might disagree with me (especially those shaky
Californians).....

In California we have been known to get the shakes, but for different
reasons than those that Ireland is famous for.  We like to use the bales
structurally, particularly because there is some difficulty and debate in
determining the strength of timber-jointed connections.  Our detail calls
for a 1/2" plywood strip on the outside of the post (about 2" narrower than
the post), and then we staple the mesh (we always use mesh) to the plywood
and key the plaster behind the post.  Then when things get shaky and the
world is spinning around, the bales and the posts hold each other up, a
thoroughly Irish solution.

John "Which Way is Up?" Swearingen

--
John Swearingen