-> Re: GSBN:Re: Strawbale walling query
     by Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...

Date: 6 Oct 2007 17:34:24 -0500
From: Joyce Coppinger jc10508@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Re: Strawbale walling query

There is a straw-bale building in Nebraska (40x80 if I remember correctly)
where the bales are used as infill (not loadbearing) and they wrapped around
the outside of the posts without being tied to the poles. The bale walls sit
about four inches away from the posts. The building was constructed in
1997-8 in the northeast corner of the state (gets plenty of rain and snow
and high winds). There are 28 posts (from red cedar trees felled nearby) in
this building - most around the perimeter but some for structural support of
the loft and rafters.

The bales are tied together with rebar pounded into the center at two points
within each bale, staggered up through three courses (see The Straw Bale
House by Steen, Steen et al). The building is coated with cement stucco
which is troweled over chicken wire pinned to the bales.

A rainscreen would probably be a good idea for the climate you describe.

Joyce
- -------
Joyce Coppinger, Managing Editor
The Last Straw journal
GPFS/TLS, PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706 USA
402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
thelaststraw@...
www.thelaststraw.org

on 10.4.2007 12:06 PM, Tom Woolley at woolley.tom@...: