Re: GSBN:Re: Lime plaster problems

On Oct 7, 2007, at 9:00 AM, Athena & Bill Steen wrote:

 . . . Another very important piece is that the earthen plaster
substrate must be thoroughly dry as earth plasters shrink when drying.
If that process is not complete the earth will pull away from the lime
plaster and leave it hanging in the air.

Bill, thanks as always for a thoughtful and well-articulated post.

The above excerpt makes me think that the case is even weaker than you
say for lime over earth, in that you really don't want to apply a lime
plaster to a bone dry earthen substrate.  The earth would suck the
moisture prematurely out of the lime, wrecking or impeding a good cure.
 But if you moisten the earth first, then you are applying lime to the
substrate in its expanded state -- which happens anyway as bone-dry
earth sucks moisture long before the lime sets.  Looks like a lose-lose
proposition, or rather that you end up relying completely on glue and
mechanical anchorage of some sort.

Also, just to be clear, you finished with --
 I would suggest that it be adopted only after some testing and
experimentation has been done and with a warning that the results are
always guaranteed

Don't you mean "never guaranteed"?

I would greatly appreciate a copy of Harry's paper, or anything by
Harry for that matter.

Thanks,

Bruce King, PE
Director, Ecological Building Network  ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )