RE: GSBN:Re: Strawbale walling query

For about 5 years we have been using 100x100mm (4"x4") posts set into
the straw bale wall. We use a 2 string bale which means that the twine
is set back about 120mm (5") from the face of the bale. We notch the
bale around the post which allows us to maintain running bond. We tie
the straw bales back to internal walls after the compression is
completed. We also tie the bales to any full height openings after
compression.

If when building the straw bale wall we felt that the wall was a bit
unstable ( possibly because of a long run of bales without internal
walls), we would tie the bales back to the post, loosely during
assembly. During compression we might need to cut those ties if they
start to work against the compression. If necessary we would retie them
after compression, however this rarely needed, as there is significant
stability gained from the compression, and rigidity of the top boxing.
We render across the face of the post, ensuring that any cavities
between the post and bales are filled with render. We have used this
method in single and 2 storey construction in very windy areas,
(unfortunately very little rain) and have never had any cracking appear
around the posts.