GSBN:Buffalo Grass Bales

Zounds, have we forgotten our roots?  (pun intended)

The original and oldest extant bale buildings in Nebraska were made
with the native grasses that were naturally there.  They seem to be
doing OK.

I don't know specifics about Buffalo grass -- and as Derek says, it may
be different in different places -- but my general impression is that
wild grasses will be generally tougher and better for bales than the
weeny hyperfertilized grasses we get from agribusiness (including
Schwarzicalifornianegger rice straw).

Thanks,

Bruce King, PE
Director, Ecological Building Network  ( www.ecobuildnetwork.org )