Re: GSBN:Re: Lime plaster problems

In a message dated 10/7/2007 3:10:08 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
thangmaker@...:

> This is the clay I wanted to use for the fire test last year in San Antonio
> but as Matts pointed out it would not well in a hot fire.

Rather than "it WOULD not perform well", I certainly meant to say "it MIGHT
WELL not perform well".  My concern was/is based on the likelihood that the
heat could rapidly convert any larger particles of calcium carbonate (a mineral
that is called limestone when it occurs as a layer of rock) to calcium oxide,
with the production of carbon dioxide gas.  I was concerned that, especially
for any larger particles near the surface of the plaster, this process might
cause a spalling off of the clay between the particle and the surface.  This
might weaken the plaster.  Since the stakes were very high in these expensive
tests, I thought it unwise to take any chances that could be avoided.  The
clay-rich soil that Frank provided as an alternative to the caliche-clay  performed
quite well, in my estimation.

 See what's
new at