RE: GSBN:Re: Lime plaster problems

Dear Bill and others
Much appreciate your well considered most informative response.
Please do forward me the paper you were talking about thanks.

I have done some investigation into the mineral content of the soil talking
to a knowledgeable engineer / farmer who said that the red  soils we used,
which are common to the area are generally quite acidic  .... He also
explained that there used to be pine plantations in that specific area and
guessed the PH would be about 4,5 to 5. He also suggested that we could
check the PH of the water we used...if you think that will also influence
the results. He said with farming that meant they usually have to add quite
a lot of extra agricultural lime to the soil to help balance the PH. If what
you are saying is that with acidic soils/water we should use a stronger lime
mix ...then I guess our mix did not have enough lime in it. We used 25% lime
mix and probably should have used a 33% lime mix???? The mix was 2 parts
soil, 7 parts sand and 3 parts lime. (The receipt I used was to substitute 1
part of the 3 parts of sand with the adobe mix)

Our adobe mix was 2 parts soil and 1 parts sand and made excellent bricks
which were very well cured and the whole wall had had months of curing
before any plastering.

Apparently the soils (from Dolerite bedrock) apparently have a very high
aluminum content...not sure if that would have played a part in it???

Not sure about the sodium carbonate levels but the potassium and phosphate
levels are very low (2-3 parts per million).

The soils also have a fairly low P.I. and we did not experience much
shrinkage. However we did wet the walls down very well before applying the
plaster and may have even over done the wetting of the walls afterwards as I
wanted to ensure the lime cured well......however this was negated in the
most part by the unusually occurring and excessive winds, which occurred
during the middle of the days over the period I was there. With the pressure
to get the job all done while I was up there, we pressed on, instead of
postponing the whole thing as in retrospect is what I should have done.

Furthermore in retrospect the keying was certainly not sufficient.

Historically in the Cape, which I am more familiar with, most of our old
earth buildings (of which there are many 100 - 300 years old) were always
protected with a good coat of lime plaster. Sometimes however lime plaster
was not used and rather a cow dung earth plaster was used followed by
regular coats of lime wash...though at the coast where we experience strong
wind driven rains a lime coating was the norm. No doubt our forefathers knew
a thing or two about lime that helped them get it right.....so I have always
had the greatest of confidence in lime plaster....up until now!

Kind thanks
Andy

ECO DESIGN
Architects & Consultants
A. R. HORN B.A.S. (UCT), B.Arch (UCT), Pr.Arch (SACAP),       MIA, CIA
Telephone: 021 462 1614, Fax: 021 461 3198
Cel: 082 67 62110
4th Flr, The Armoury
160 Sir Lowry Rd
CAPE TOWN