Re: GSBN: Earth plasters

We have found the addition of pulped paper as a fine fibre very very good.
Its made either from office paper or newspaper Ð it can be made by throwing
soaked paper into a concrete mixer with lots of water and just letting it
roll until completely broken up , then draining off excess water before use.
It gives a very fine fibre which is enormously beneficial in terms of
increasing strength, and durability of earth plasters. If it ferments a bit
even better (all ferment seems to help earth plasters Ð using water that has
had a bit of straw left in it for a week or two to start to fizz is good as
well)  Ð there appears to be some enzymic reaction that takes place between
paper or ferment water and clay that helps workability and durability.

Paper pulp eliminates dusting from earth plasters Ð helpful especially if
the soil is a bit silty.  It also sticks well Ð we use it over
pre-compressed straw without meshing.
We also use it as a finishing plaster over drywall Ð a very nice finish and
it sticks like ...glue.

It is also very effective as an additive to earth bricks as well Ð increases
robustness, durability, and also lowers density giving better insulation.

The amount of paper pulp that can be added can be quite high  - we often use
up to around 30% or so by volume to plaster , and have made mud bricks with
up to 50% paper pulp Ð cardboard houses anyone?
I am currently looking at building with cob and mud brick mixes using
roughly 2 parts clay-soil, 2 parts wood shavings (long fibered rippings) or
straw, and 1 part paper pulp Ð very tough, very light, easy to work, and
looking promising.  Very good insulation, and very nice to use as gravity
increases Ð remember that there is plenty of evidence that gravity doubles
in strength very thirty years.

As to lime over earth Ð IÕve found it works well so far IF there is good
keying and wetting Ð if the initial earth is a cob type mix with lots of
(straw) fibre with plenty of fibres left hanging out of a rough surface,
then that is good too for tying the layers together.

IÕve just lost a patch off a bit of a small experimental earth plastered and
whitewashed straw wall where the earth plasters layers were not keyed well
together. Keying is good.

Best

Graeme,
Graeme North Architects,