Re: GSBN: Earth plasters

Graeme,

Thanks for your submission and insight. The first I'd heard of 'fermenting'
straw (or paper) was from some friends from NZ, Sven and Sarah Johnston,
who hosted a workshop and a guest presenter was Tom Raven, the colorful
Frenchman, who uses a fermented mix, like bakers use a yeast starter for
baking breads. Tom swears by this fermenting and concurs with you on added
durability of the earth plasters. The Johnstons found they had some mold
issues, maybe as a result of this mix tho. Have you experience any issues
with molds? Maybe you'd care to chime in Sven?

Mark Schueneman
Colorado Straw Bale Association
303-444-6027 hm./of.
303-591-9841 cell