GSBN:Cutting the twine

Greetings All,

Has anyone ever built a wall with bales flat, then cut the twine on the bales, to relax the indentations caused by a tight bale? Seems the tighter the bale, the deeper the indentation and the more the need for chainsawing or rasping the ends flat for a good 'butt' joint. Speaking with a local bale builder friend I suggested cutting the twine and he thought it would be a bad idea, thinking that it would take away the 'stacking brick' strength. My bales are in on my project now. The bales were tight and we used hydraulic jacks and sheets of metal to wedge the top bales in place. The wall is extremely tight. Now that a slip coat is in place, and well worked into the flat bales, why not cut the twine, relax the bales to fill in any unstuffed or cobbed spaces within the wall. May be we could have cut the twine after straightening the wall and prior to filling and cobbing the voids. It may have eliminated some of that work and given a more uniform fit.

Has anyone ever tried it or foresee any problems? Of coarse if your bales are on edge this may not be an option or you may have to come up with a system like what Tom Raven demonstrated at the last International Conference, using a wooden 'frame like' system.

Mark Schueneman
Colorado Straw Bale Association
303-444-6027 hm./of.
303-591-9841 cell