Re: GSBN: Earth plasters

Graeme,
Couple of things. First of all (laughing), plastering in NZ I think is a tad bit different than dehydrated parts of the world such as where I live. I suspect Andy's part of the world is in the dehydrated category.

But on to what you said about fermenting plaster. I have found that the longer any earth plaster ages the better it seems to get. Especially this applies to those containing some fiber whether it be straw or paper. Even for short periods of time we've had large batches of clay and straw plaster rise like bread dough, quite amazing. The only objectionable thing about longer periods is that there is a definite organic odor that comes with it. Personally it doesn't bother me, but others don't get overly excited about it. To see if I can help those who are sensitive we've started some experimental batches with EM, a product known as Essential Microorganisms to see if it alters the process somewhat.

Anyhow, what I like about the fermented mixes is that the character of the mix changes entirely. It is hard to describe, but it becomes much more pliable, plastic, easy to work and the breakdown of fiber I suspect makes it less susceptible to mold when drying in wetter conditions.

The only down side about adding too much paper for an interior plaster is that you're going to sacrifice thermal mass and since that is an impt ingredient when it comes to the performance of a SB building it would seem we don't want to sacrifice that.

Bill