Re: GSBN:Re: Lime plaster problems

In a message dated 10/10/2007 1:17:11 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
andy@...:

> Sometimes however lime plaster
> was not used and rather a cow dung earth plaster was used followed by
> regular coats of lime wash...though at the coast where we experience strong
> wind driven rains a lime coating was the norm.

I believe that many of the cob buildings on the southern coast of England
(Devon?) used several (maybe 4-5 initially) coats of lime wash.  It was
considered somewhat sacrificial, and was followed up, after a year or two, with a
couple more coats.  After that, another coat every couple of years.  Maybe Barbara
Jones can check in on this  one, and also tell us whether lime wash over cob
or earth plaster has traditionally been used anywhere in the British Isles
where they experience driving rains coming in off the sea (up on the northwest
coast of Scotland?).