Re: GSBN:Cutting the twine

I've mentioned this a couple of time in The Last Straw, have seen it done
and use it in projects I do and know it works! The idea came to me thanks to
Tony Caniglia, Colorado SB builder and plasterer. stuccostraw@...
303 905-4282 cell (best way to reach Tony)

Set a bale up on end between two bales laid flat to hold it in place (you
can also lay it across sawhorses or on the edge of a table with someone
holding the other end down). With a chain saw, carefully remove the straw
down to the wire or twine. Just takes a minute or two to do. Set it up so
that you do the bales ahead of time - or if you have some extra hands to
help, get someone to trim the bales as you work on stacking the walls.

It seems like the wire or twine will be broken, but most of the time we only
lost a bale or two for a whole building. This takes away the bumps and
creates a flat surface to butt up against the next bale. Eliminates almost
all of the filling in at cracks and joints and voids. The time needed to
trim the bales into nice rectangles (with no bumps at the twine/wires) is
offset by not having to do the filling and cobbing. And you have a lot of
loose straw for mixing into plaster or for composting or whatever use you
can make of it.

Joyce
-------
Joyce Coppinger, Managing Editor
The Last Straw journal
GPFS/TLS, PO Box 22706, Lincoln NE 68542-2706 USA
402.483.5135, fax 402.483.5161
thelaststraw@...
www.thelaststraw.org

on 10.11.2007 5:12 AM, Mark Schueneman at markschu@...: