GSBN:Some Nice News about DCAT

Hi all,

We have some exciting news to share. The Development Center for Appropriate Technology (DCAT) has been named the International Code Council (ICC) 2007 Affiliate of the Year. The award was presented last week at the ICC Annual Conference in Reno, Nevada. This is a wonderful acknowledgment of DCAT's focus on building sustainability into the codes over the past dozen years. It is also a great 15th birthday present for DCAT. We are particularly thrilled to share this news with all of you because of who you are, what you do, and what we are achieving together.

(For those from outside the U.S., in spite of its name, the ICC is actually the U.S. national organization of building officials. ICC does do international work and has a significant influence on codes in the rest of the world. Hopefully the influence of the parts of the world where sustainability is a higher priority will have more and more infuence on our codes here - what DCAT has been working toward for the last 12 years.)

Almost six years ago, when DCAT was given a regular column (Building Codes for Small Planet) in ICBO's Building Standards magazine, and later in ICC's Building Safety Journal, it marked an extraordinary occurrence. We had gone into the conservative building codes community as outside environmental and social justice advocates and built relationships and trust to such a degree that we were invited inside and given a platform through which to educate the codes community about issues of sustainability. Today, with the ICC Affiliate of the Year Award, and with the growing leadership being shown by ICC and the codes community, it's clear that this work is paying off. We're now planning to take the work to the next level and share what we've learned over the past dozen years in new areas where we believe it can help enable positive change, through relocalization strategies and working with communities and local governments as we seek to ways to create the world we want, not just prevent what we don't want.

There can be no doubt that there is a significant shift happening in the world of building and development. We know that we are just part of a much larger movement and that the work that all of you do has also been crucial to this shift. We encourage you to take the time to both acknowledge how much we all have accomplished and how much more work there is yet to do.

We've gotten this much done by taking first steps and then the next step and the next. We hope you will join us in abandoning all our excuses and continuing to take the largest steps we can toward a truly sustainable built environment and society. I think you'd agree that it has never been more important.

If you feel that our work has benefited your work or think it's important, please help support it as we continue moving forward. Visit our website - www.dcat.net - to see what else we're up to and to find out more about how you can help support this work.

We invite you to share this news with your friends and colleagues.

With warmest regards,

David Eisenberg
Director

Media Release

October 12, 2007

Acknowledging the pioneering work of David Eisenberg and the Development Center for Appropriate Technology (DCAT) in promoting sustainability in building and building codes, the International Code Council (ICC) named DCAT their 2007 Affiliate of the Year. The award was presented at the ICC Annual Conference in Reno, Nevada on October 3rd. The ICC Affiliate Award is given in recognition of an individual or organization that consistently demonstrates integrity, professionalism and dedication to building code development, public safety, and public service.

"David's decades of work in green building education and code development for alternative building materials has helped make sustainability a common concept," said International Code Council Immediate Past President Wally Bailey. â??As a regular contributor to ICC's magazine, Building Safety Journal, David explains how building codes can support the responsible use of resources to create safe and sustainable communities. As the Code Council continues to define its role in green building, we have David to thank for educating us on how to include sustainability into the codes and protect our world for generations to come."

The ICC Awards video shown at the opening plenary session of the conference noted: â??Currently Chair of the U.S. Green Building Councilâ??s Code Committee, David played a key role in the agreement between the USGBC and the ICC to promote a joint effort to educate building officials about green building and include green building practices in the I-Codes.â?? The first results of that agreement were the half-day and full-day green building education classes that David, the USGBC Code Committee, ICC staff, and others developed and taught at the conference in Reno. In addition, weâ??re helping develop a guide to sustainability and green building is in development that will be jointly published by ICC and USGBC.

DCATâ??s ten-year-old program, Building Sustainability into the Codes, has included a wide variety of activities and efforts to educate the building codes community about the full range of consequences, risks and responsibilities involved in safeguarding public health, safety and welfare in relation to the built environment. The collaborative approach and quality of relationships DCAT developed resulted in the opportunity to help create six feature issues and dozens of articles on topics related to sustainability and green building in the magazines of ICC and the legacy code groups. Additionally, DCAT was given a regular column called â??Building Codes for a Small Planetâ?? in Building Standards magazine and later in ICCâ??s Building Safety Journal. DCAT also produced an educational video with the same name for building officials. That video is currently available from DCAT on DVD.

DCAT is a Tucson, Arizona-based nonprofit organization celebrating its 15th year. DCAT works to enhance the health of the planet and our communities by promoting a shift to sustainable construction and development through leadership, strategic relationships, and education. The International Code Council is a membership association dedicated to building safety and fire prevention. ICC develops the International Codes, an integrated set of building codes that are the most widely accepted building codes in the U.S.

For more information visit the DCAT website - www.dcat.net or the website of the International Code Council - www.iccsafe.org

Contact:
David Eisenberg, Director
P.O. Box 27513, Tucson, Arizona 85726-7513
(520) 624-6628, (520)-798-3701 Fax
www.dcat.net

Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail! - <a target="_blank" href="http://mail.aol.com";>http://mail.aol.com</a>