From: GSBN [<a  target="_blank" href="mailto:GSBN@...";>mailto:GSBN@...] On Behalf Of David Eisenberg
Sent: Sunday, 14 October 2007 6:49 AM
To: GSBN@...
Subject: GSBN:Some Nice News about DCAT

Hi all,

We have some exciting news to share. The Development Center for Appropriate
Technology (DCAT) has been named the International Code Council (ICC) 2007
Affiliate of the Year. The award was presented last week at the ICC Annual
Conference in Reno, Nevada. This is a wonderful acknowledgment of DCAT's
focus on building sustainability into the codes over the past dozen years.
It is also a great 15th birthday present for DCAT. We are particularly
thrilled to share this news with all of you because of who you are, what you
do, and what we are achieving together.

(For those from outside the U.S., in spite of its name, the ICC is actually
the U.S. national organization of building officials. ICC does do
international work and has a significant influence on codes in the rest of
the world. Hopefully the influence of the parts of the world where
sustainability is a higher priority will have more and more infuence on our
codes here - what DCAT has been working toward for the last 12 years.)

Almost six years ago, when DCAT was given a regular column (Building Codes
for Small Planet) in ICBO's Building Standards magazine, and later in ICC's
Building Safety Journal, it marked an extraordinary occurrence. We had gone
into the conservative building codes community as outside environmental and
social justice advocates and built relationships and trust to such a degree
that we were invited inside and given a platform through which to educate
the codes community about issues of sustainability. Today, with the ICC
Affiliate of the Year Award, and with the growing leadership being shown by
ICC and the codes community, it's clear that this work is paying off. We're
now planning to take the work to the next level and share what we've learned
over the past dozen years in new areas where we believe it can help enable
positive change, through relocalization strategies and working with
communities and local governments as we seek to ways to create the world we
want, not just prevent what we don't want.

There can be no doubt that there is a significant shift happening in the
world of building and development. We know that we are just part of a much
larger movement and that the work that all of you do has also been crucial
to this shift. We encourage you to take the time to both acknowledge how
much we all have accomplished and how much more work there is yet to do.

We've gotten this much done by taking first steps and then the next step and
the next. We hope you will join us in abandoning all our excuses and
continuing to take the largest steps we can toward a truly sustainable built
environment and society. I think you'd agree that it has never been more
important.

If you feel that our work has benefited your work or think it's important,
please help support it as we continue moving forward. Visit our website -
www.dcat.net - to see what else we're up to and to find out more about how
you can help support this work.

We invite you to share this news with your friends and colleagues.

With warmest regards,

David Eisenberg
Director

Media Release

October 12, 2007

Acknowledging the pioneering work of David Eisenberg and the Development
Center for Appropriate Technology (DCAT) in promoting sustainability in
building and building codes, the International Code Council (ICC) named DCAT
their 2007 Affiliate of the Year. The award was presented at the ICC Annual
Conference in Reno, Nevada on October 3rd. The ICC Affiliate Award is given
in recognition of an individual or organization that consistently
demonstrates integrity, professionalism and dedication to building code
development, public safety, and public service.

"David's decades of work in green building education and code development
for alternative building materials has helped make sustainability a common
concept," said International Code Council Immediate Past President Wally
Bailey. ?As a regular contributor to ICC's magazine, Building Safety
Journal, David explains how building codes can support the responsible use
of resources to create safe and sustainable communities. As the Code Council
continues to define its role in green building, we have David to thank for
educating us on how to include sustainability into the codes and protect our
world for generations to come."

The ICC Awards video shown at the opening plenary session of the conference
noted: ?Currently Chair of the U.S. Green Building Council?s Code Committee,
David played a key role in the agreement between the USGBC and the ICC to
promote a joint effort to educate building officials about green building
and include green building practices in the I-Codes.?  The first results of
that agreement were the half-day and full-day green building education
classes that David, the USGBC Code Committee, ICC staff, and others
developed and taught at the conference in Reno. In addition, we?re helping
develop a guide to sustainability and green building is in development that
will be jointly published by ICC and USGBC.

DCAT?s ten-year-old program, Building Sustainability into the Codes, has
included a wide variety of activities and efforts to educate the building
codes community about the full range of consequences, risks and
responsibilities involved in safeguarding public health, safety and welfare
in relation to the built environment. The collaborative approach and quality
of relationships DCAT developed resulted in the opportunity to help create
six feature issues and dozens of articles on topics related to
sustainability and green building in the magazines of ICC and the legacy
code groups. Additionally, DCAT was given a regular column called ?Building
Codes for a Small Planet? in Building Standards magazine and later in ICC?s
Building Safety Journal. DCAT also produced an educational video with the
same name for building officials. That video is currently available from
DCAT on DVD.

DCAT is a Tucson, Arizona-based nonprofit organization celebrating its 15th
year. DCAT works to enhance the health of the planet and our communities by
promoting a shift to sustainable construction and development through
leadership, strategic relationships, and education.
The International Code Council is a membership association dedicated to
building safety and fire prevention. ICC develops the International Codes,
an integrated set of building codes that are the most widely accepted
building codes in the U.S.

For more information visit the DCAT website - www.dcat.net or the website of
the International Code Council - www.iccsafe.org

Contact:
David Eisenberg, Director
Development Center for Appropriate Technology P.O. Box 27513, Tucson,
Arizona 85726-7513
(520) 624-6628, (520)-798-3701 Fax
www.dcat.net