Re: GSBN:Some Nice News about DCAT

Hearty congrats, David and DCAT staffers and supporters!

Keep up the great work!

At 5:18 PM -0400 10/13/07, David Eisenberg wrote:
Hi all,

We have some exciting news to share. The Development Center for
Appropriate Technology (DCAT) has been named the International Code
Council (ICC) 2007 Affiliate of the Year. The award was presented
last week at the ICC Annual Conference in Reno, Nevada. This is a
wonderful acknowledgment of DCAT's focus on building sustainability
into the codes over the past dozen years. It is also a great 15th
birthday present for DCAT. We are particularly thrilled to share
this news with all of you because of who you are, what you do, and
what we are achieving together.

(For those from outside the U.S., in spite of its name, the ICC is
actually the U.S. national organization of building officials. ICC
does do international work and has a significant influence on codes
in the rest of the world. Hopefully the influence of the parts of
the world where sustainability is a higher priority will have more
and more infuence on our codes here - what DCAT has been working
toward for the last 12 years.)

Almost six years ago, when DCAT was given a regular column (Building
Codes for Small Planet) in ICBO's Building Standards magazine, and
later in ICC's Building Safety Journal, it marked an extraordinary
occurrence. We had gone into the conservative building codes
community as outside environmental and social justice advocates and
built relationships and trust to such a degree that we were invited
inside and given a platform through which to educate the codes
community about issues of sustainability. Today, with the ICC
Affiliate of the Year Award, and with the growing leadership being
shown by ICC and the codes community, it's clear that this work is
paying off. We're now planning to take the work to the next level
and share what we've learned over the past dozen years in new areas
where we believe it can help enable positive change, through
relocalization strategies and working with communities and local
governments as we seek to ways to create the world we want, not just
prevent what we don't want.

There can be no doubt that there is a significant shift happening in
the world of building and development. We know that we are just part
of a much larger movement and that the work that all of you do has
also been crucial to this shift. We encourage you to take the time
to both acknowledge how much we all have accomplished and how much
more work there is yet to do.

We've gotten this much done by taking first steps and then the next
step and the next. We hope you will join us in abandoning all our
excuses and continuing to take the largest steps we can toward a
truly sustainable built environment and society. I think you'd agree
that it has never been more important.

If you feel that our work has benefited your work or think it's
important, please help support it as we continue moving forward.
Visit our website - www.dcat.net - to see what else we're up to and
to find out more about how you can help support this work.

We invite you to share this news with your friends and colleagues.

With warmest regards,

David Eisenberg
Director

Media Release

October 12, 2007

Acknowledging the pioneering work of David Eisenberg and the
Development Center for Appropriate Technology (DCAT) in promoting
sustainability in building and building codes, the International
Code Council (ICC) named DCAT their 2007 Affiliate of the Year. The
award was presented at the ICC Annual Conference in Reno, Nevada on
October 3rd. The ICC Affiliate Award is given in recognition of an
individual or organization that consistently demonstrates integrity,
professionalism and dedication to building code development, public
safety, and public service.

"David's decades of work in green building education and code
development for alternative building materials has helped make
sustainability a common concept," said International Code Council
Immediate Past President Wally Bailey. "As a regular contributor to
ICC's magazine, Building Safety Journal, David explains how building
codes can support the responsible use of resources to create safe
and sustainable communities. As the Code Council continues to define
its role in green building, we have David to thank for educating us
on how to include sustainability into the codes and protect our
world for generations to come."

The ICC Awards video shown at the opening plenary session of the
conference noted: "Currently Chair of the U.S. Green Building
Council's Code Committee, David played a key role in the agreement
between the USGBC and the ICC to promote a joint effort to educate
building officials about green building and include green building
practices in the I-Codes."  The first results of that agreement were
the half-day and full-day green building education classes that
David, the USGBC Code Committee, ICC staff, and others developed and
taught at the conference in Reno. In addition, we're helping develop
a guide to sustainability and green building is in development that
will be jointly published by ICC and USGBC.

DCAT's ten-year-old program, Building Sustainability into the Codes,
has included a wide variety of activities and efforts to educate the
building codes community about the full range of consequences, risks
and responsibilities involved in safeguarding public health, safety
and welfare in relation to the built environment. The collaborative
approach and quality of relationships DCAT developed resulted in the
opportunity to help create six feature issues and dozens of articles
on topics related to sustainability and green building in the
magazines of ICC and the legacy code groups. Additionally, DCAT was
given a regular column called "Building Codes for a Small Planet" in
Building Standards magazine and later in ICC's Building Safety
Journal. DCAT also produced an educational video with the same name
for building officials. That video is currently available from DCAT
on DVD.

DCAT is a Tucson, Arizona-based nonprofit organization celebrating
its 15th year. DCAT works to enhance the health of the planet and
our communities by promoting a shift to sustainable construction and
development through leadership, strategic relationships, and
education. The International Code Council is a membership
association dedicated to building safety and fire prevention. ICC
develops the International Codes, an integrated set of building
codes that are the most widely accepted building codes in the U.S.

For more information visit the DCAT website - www.dcat.net or the
website of the International Code Council - www.iccsafe.org

Contact:
David Eisenberg, Director
P.O. Box 27513, Tucson, Arizona 85726-7513
(520) 624-6628, (520)-798-3701 Fax
www.dcat.net

Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL
Mail! - <a  target="_blank" href="http://mail.aol.com";>http://mail.aol.com</a>
list, send email to GSBN@...HELP in the
SUBJECT line.

Don't miss October's Natural Building Colloquium:
<<a  target="_blank" href="http://naturalbuildingtexas.org";>http://naturalbuildingtexas.org</a>>