Date: 13 Oct 2007 03:49:18 -0500
From: Tom Woolley woolley.tom@...
Subject: Re: GSBN:Re: Lime plaster problems -Hemp the answer

The best source of information on lime  is to be found through

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.buildinglimesforum.org.uk/";>http://www.buildinglimesforum.org.uk/</a>

There are now related organisations in the USA and Scandinavia.

Worth subscribing to their journal. There is a fantastic article in
the latest issue Vol 14 by Becky Little and Tom Morton
called "Mixing it with Lime and Clay"

Maybe Tom Morton would send you a copy of the article if you ask
Contact him through his excellent web site.  Download the info he has
on unfired earth buildings
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.arc-architects.com/";>http://www.arc-architects.com/</a>

Been reading the responses about cellulose

Hemp is the answer , Hemp-lime plasters/renders solve all  problems.
Doesn't shrink or crack, copes admirably with  moisture, etc. etc

Just finished writing a guide to hemp-lime construction ( well
almost) yesterday . Should be out in April 2008 published by BRE/IHS
Press.

Hemp web sites
www.hemplime.org.uk
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.limetechnology.co.uk/pages/hemcrete.php";>http://www.limetechnology.co.uk/pages/hemcrete.php</a>

Tom Woolley

On 13 Oct 2007, at 00:44, MattsMyhrman@...:

> In a message dated 10/10/2007 1:17:11 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> andy@...:
>
>> Sometimes however lime plaster
>> was not used and rather a cow dung earth plaster was used followed by
>> regular coats of lime wash...though at the coast where we
>> experience strong
>> wind driven rains a lime coating was the norm.
>
> I believe that many of the cob buildings on the southern coast of
> England
> (Devon?) used several (maybe 4-5 initially) coats of lime wash.  It
> was
> considered somewhat sacrificial, and was followed up, after a year
> or two, with a
> couple more coats.  After that, another coat every couple of
> years.  Maybe Barbara
> Jones can check in on this  one, and also tell us whether lime wash
> over cob
> or earth plaster has traditionally been used anywhere in the
> British Isles
> where they experience driving rains coming in off the sea (up on
> the northwest
> coast of Scotland?).

> multipart/alternative
>   text/html