From: "David Eisenberg" strawnet@...
To: GSBN@...
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2007 11:18 PM
Subject: GSBN:Some Nice News about DCAT

Hi all,

We have some exciting news to share. The Development Center for
Appropriate Technology (DCAT) has been named the International Code
Council (ICC) 2007 Affiliate of the Year. The award was presented last
week at the ICC Annual Conference in Reno, Nevada. This is a wonderful
acknowledgment of DCAT's focus on building sustainability into the
codes over the past dozen years. It is also a great 15th birthday
present for DCAT. We are particularly thrilled to share this news with
all of you because of who you are, what you do, and what we are
achieving together.

(For those from outside the U.S., in spite of its name, the ICC is
actually the U.S. national organization of building officials. ICC does
do international work and has a significant influence on codes in the
rest of the world. Hopefully the influence of the parts of the world
where sustainability is a higher priority will have more and more
infuence on our codes here - what DCAT has been working toward for the
last 12 years.)

Almost six years ago, when DCAT was given a regular column (Building
Codes for Small Planet) in ICBO's Building Standards magazine, and
later in ICC's Building Safety Journal, it marked an extraordinary
occurrence. We had gone into the conservative building codes community
as outside environmental and social justice advocates and built
relationships and trust to such a degree that we were invited inside
and given a platform through which to educate the codes community about
issues of sustainability. Today, with the ICC Affiliate of the Year
Award, and with the growing leadership being shown by ICC and the codes
community, it's clear that this work is paying off. We're now planning
to take the work to the next level and share what we've learned over
the past dozen years in new areas where we believe it can help enable
positive change, through relocalization strategies and working with
communities and local governments as we seek to ways to create the
world we want, not just prevent what we don't want.

There can be no doubt that there is a significant shift happening in
the world of building and development. We know that we are just part of
a much larger movement and that the work that all of you do has also
been crucial to this shift. We encourage you to take the time to both
acknowledge how much we all have accomplished and how much more work
there is yet to do.

We've gotten this much done by taking first steps and then the next
step and the next. We hope you will join us in abandoning all our
excuses and continuing to take the largest steps we can toward a truly
sustainable built environment and society. I think you'd agree that it
has never been more important.

If you feel that our work has benefited your work or think it's
important, please help support it as we continue moving forward. Visit
our website - www.dcat.net - to see what else we're up to and to find
out more about how you can help support this work.

We invite you to share this news with your friends and colleagues.

With warmest regards,

David Eisenberg
Director

Media Release

October 12, 2007

Acknowledging the pioneering work of David Eisenberg and the
Development Center for Appropriate Technology (DCAT) in promoting
sustainability in building and building codes, the International Code
Council (ICC) named DCAT their 2007 Affiliate of the Year. The award
was presented at the ICC Annual Conference in Reno, Nevada on October
3rd. The ICC Affiliate Award is given in recognition of an individual
or organization that consistently demonstrates integrity,
professionalism and dedication to building code development, public
safety, and public service.

"David's decades of work in green building education and code
development for alternative building materials has helped make
sustainability a common concept," said International Code Council
Immediate Past President Wally Bailey. â??As a regular contributor to
ICC's magazine, Building Safety Journal, David explains how building
codes can support the responsible use of resources to create safe and
sustainable communities. As the Code Council continues to define its
role in green building, we have David to thank for educating us on how
to include sustainability into the codes and protect our world for
generations to come."

The ICC Awards video shown at the opening plenary session of the
conference noted: â??Currently Chair of the U.S. Green Building Councilâ??s
Code Committee, David played a key role in the agreement between the
USGBC and the ICC to promote a joint effort to educate building
officials about green building and include green building practices in
the I-Codes.â??  The first results of that agreement were the half-day
and full-day green building education classes that David, the USGBC
Code Committee, ICC staff, and others developed and taught at the
conference in Reno. In addition, weâ??re helping develop a guide to
sustainability and green building is in development that will be
jointly published by ICC and USGBC.

DCATâ??s ten-year-old program, Building Sustainability into the Codes,
has included a wide variety of activities and efforts to educate the
building codes community about the full range of consequences, risks
and responsibilities involved in safeguarding public health, safety and
welfare in relation to the built environment. The collaborative
approach and quality of relationships DCAT developed resulted in the
opportunity to help create six feature issues and dozens of articles on
topics related to sustainability and green building in the magazines of
ICC and the legacy code groups. Additionally, DCAT was given a regular
column called â??Building Codes for a Small Planetâ?? in Building Standards
magazine and later in ICCâ??s Building Safety Journal. DCAT also produced
an educational video with the same name for building officials. That
video is currently available from DCAT on DVD.

DCAT is a Tucson, Arizona-based nonprofit organization celebrating its
15th year. DCAT works to enhance the health of the planet and our
communities by promoting a shift to sustainable construction and
development through leadership, strategic relationships, and education.
The International Code Council is a membership association dedicated to
building safety and fire prevention. ICC develops the International
Codes, an integrated set of building codes that are the most widely
accepted building codes in the U.S.

For more information visit the DCAT website - www.dcat.net or the
website of the International Code Council - www.iccsafe.org

Contact:
David Eisenberg, Director
P.O. Box 27513, Tucson, Arizona 85726-7513
(520) 624-6628, (520)-798-3701 Fax
www.dcat.net

<a  target="_blank" href="http://mail.aol.com";>http://mail.aol.com</a>