Re: GSBN:Re: Lime plaster problems -Hemp the answer

I would concur that interesting and largely positive things happen when
mixing lime with hemp! I make an oatmeally mixture of lime, gypsum and
chopped hemp that makes an expanding (slightly) insulation for around
windows and doors to replace the dreaded expanding foam that everybody is
so fond of up here.

The same mix works very well for making cordwood walls... the resulting
mix is strong enough to be the bearing matrix and insulative enough that
one can dispense with having to make an inner and outer mortar layer with
loose fill in between.

"Some chemistry" goes on between the lime and the high-silica hemp hurd
that actually produces a mild bubbling/foaming action, making it the one
mortar that swells slightly instead of shrinking.

This summer I hope to use this mix as an insulative base under an earthen
floor. We'll see what happens!

Chris