GSBN:Re: Historic Nebraska Buildings and Railroad Workers

Andre writes

> Tom also says that it were the railroad workers in Nebraska that
> started SB building. I don't remember reading this elsewhere. Though it
> seems to make sense that railroad workers would create fast shelter it
> does not seem logical to me that they would make a real house (because
> they would probably move on as the railroad advances).

Matts responds: I consider myself a serious student of the early history of
bale building.  Although it may just be something that I've just somehow
missed, I have never heard or read anything that would corroborate Tom's belief.
Wonder if Joyce Coppinger, who shares my interest in the dawn of bale building,
could weigh in on this one.

 See what's
new at