GSBN:Taddelakt

Hello Andy,

We (my wife, the kids and I) are driving down to Marakech (Tadelakt
heaven) this november where I'll finally be taking a tadelakt workshop.
The basic principle is using their local lime (CL in Europe =Calcic Lime
= non hyraulic) which is not completely pure nor completely 'cooked',
just as the old limes Bill Steen mentioned.
This allows for the lime to be used pure (with pigment) with only minor
cracking.
A second thin layer is applied, which is hard troweled when leather
hard. This closes the minor cracks.
Then green soap is applied with a flat stone.
A mason can do about 4mÓ per day, which makes it quite costly compared
to tiles etc.
It is traditionally used in Morocco for covering the Hammam's which were
made of un stabilized earth.
There is only one word that describes the end product : Sumptuous!
There are recepies that copy this effect with other limes. In general
marble dust (!) is used to avoid excessive cracking and to keep the soft
surface. Those who have experience tell me that nothing really is as
beautiful as the real stuff. although I agree there is a difference, the
'falsifications' are also effective and beautiful).

Tadelakt is watertight (bathtubs and the like can be made with it) but
does not breath. So it will not have the advantage of absorbing the
moisture and releasing it later as earth plaster has. I intend to use it
in the shower and for the sink, but will not cover the rest of the
earthen plaster in that room. I agree with Graeme that earth holds up
very well by itself. We have our bath in our 'Master' ;-) bedroom. Our 2
kids also use it often (in Europe having 2 bathrooms is an exception).
We never have even the slightest condensation on our windows nor on the
mirror.

A beautiful (french) book on the subject is:
Le tadelakt, un d?cor ? la chaux by Sol?ne Delahousse ISBN 2-7072-0476-5
Look at Amazon to see the cover (but order in your local bookstore ;-)
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.fr/tadelakt-d%C3%A9cor-%C3%A0-chaux/dp/2707204765";>http://www.amazon.fr/tadelakt-d%C3%A9cor-%C3%A0-chaux/dp/2707204765</a>

Bill Steen showed us during ? workhop near Santa F? how he makes
something visually similar with kaolin clay. He hard troweled a very
thin layer of leather hard pure clay. This also gave a very very very
soft/slick surface, but it is not intended to be watertight.

Plaster on,
Andr?

Just to make you all green with envy : this is where we will be for the
Taddelakt workshop :
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.riadzinoun.com/tadelakt-stage-anglais.html";>http://www.riadzinoun.com/tadelakt-stage-anglais.html</a>
<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.riadzinoun.com/riad_visite1.html";>http://www.riadzinoun.com/riad_visite1.html</a>

Andy Horn a ?crit :
Does anyone know about the Moroccan takalak plasters, which are apparently
used in bathrooms? I believe they are supposedly used in waterproofing of
baths and showers too?
Andy