Re: GSBN:40% humidity

Bonjour Kuba,

Thanks for your participation. Can you tell me again where I can
download your reserach on moisture so I can try to read it while in the
car to the south of spain in a few days.

All the best,
Andr?

PS Barbara's conference was very appr?ciated (we went on until 02h30!!!)
and I think more loadbearing SB will be happening in France.

Jakub Wihan a ?crit :
Hi Andre,

As Jim writes, worldwide expert on passive climate control in
buildings such as archives and museums is Tim Padfield. His extensive
research is available for free on his remarkable website.

You might be particularly interested in:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.padfield.org/tim/cfys/musmic/musmicbuf.pdf";>http://www.padfield.org/tim/cfys/musmic/musmicbuf.pdf</a>

Materials creating all the surfaces (including equipment, furniture
,etc.) in the room seem to play crucial role in passive humidity
(relative humdity) control as well as maintaining constant
temperature. One might assume that straw bale building could be ideal
for this purpose, because it won't need much energy for maintaining
constant temperature in temperate climate of France and on top of it,
according to Padfields research, earth plaster seems to create
excellent surface for humidity buffering:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.padfield.org/tim/cfys/wallbuff/wallbuff.php";>http://www.padfield.org/tim/cfys/wallbuff/wallbuff.php</a>

Plastered straw bale walls, according to Padfields e-mail, has
enormous water vapour capacity:

<a  target="_blank" href="http://www.jakubwihan.com/pdf/thesis.pdf";>http://www.jakubwihan.com/pdf/thesis.pdf</a> , pg. 267

Personaly, I think that winery monitoring done by Straube and
Schummacher won't help you much in this case, because the room
designed for maintaining constant relative humidity of 80% was air
conditioned. I would be very interested, if anyone out there did a
monitoring that would more directly shed some light on the subject of
using straw bale walls for passive maintainance of constant relative
humidity. The monitoring that I'm familiar with (monitoring widely
available for free on internet) suggests that palstered straw bales
seem to make a very promising solution in case of various archives and
museum buildings.

Love

Kuba

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andr&eacute; de Bouter"