GSBN:Re: [GSBN] re : 40% humidity

Hi Rob Ð thanks for the reality check  -

I do think that hygroscopic surfaces may well have a great role to play in
helping moderate humidity, even if they may not be the whole answer Ð as we
head towards energy descent the lower loads on air conditioning plant on
area that may still need artificial climate control may prove to be very
helpful.

In my own experience, in a well ventilated earth house, I can say
anecdotally that it is very much drier than any non-earth house I have ever
lived in in this climate.
In my own house I have two bathrooms, both with tiled floors and light
weight roof structures, each with a tiled shower in it.

One is a timber walled with painted inside wall surfaces, and is light,
sunny and very well ventilated to the exterior  - surface water on the floor
tends to hang around and the tiles on the shower walls grow mould really
fast.

The other bathroom is not sunny, (it is on the shady side of the house) and
it is less well ventilated, but has natural earth walls. Any surface water
on the floor dries readily and we get no mould at all on the shower walls.
Towels also dry faster.   IÕm pretty sure that the hygroscopic surfaces are
responsible for the considerable and notable difference.

Graeme,
Graeme North Architects,
49 Matthew Road,
RD1, Warkworth,