GSBN:Fwd: CASBA_ Pea Gravel

I am forwarding this inquiry from the California Straw Building Association (CASBA) list from award-winning architects David Arkin & Anni Tilt. Perhaps this will stimulate discussion on the GSBN e-waves.
-Cat

From: "David Arkin, AIA" david@...
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:21:39 -0800
Subject: CASBA_Mem Pea Gravel
Fellow CASBAnauts (CASBAnuts?):

We haven't used pea gravel between our sill plates for some time now, using rigid insulation instead. My opinion is that if a bale wall has enough water in it to need 'drainage' (from any source), those bales are goners.

The building official in Sonoma is citing it's recommendation in SB332 as a good enough reason to require that it be there. SB332 says, "There shall also be a drainage plane between the straw and the top of the foundation, such as a one inch layer of pea gravel." Does anyone know of the intent of this?

More importantly, does anyone know of any testing as to why this might (or might not) be a good idea?

Your thoughts (and/or Holiday Greetings) always appreciated,

David and Anni

*  *  *  *  *
Arkin Tilt Architects
Ecological Planning & Design

David Arkin, AIA, Architect
LEED Accredited Professional
CA #C22459/NV #5030

1101 8th St. #180, Berkeley, CA  94710
510/528-9830
www.arkintilt.com

"There is no way to peace. Peace is the way."
÷ A. J. Muste

-
Use REPLY to respond to the sender only or
use REPLY ALL to respond to the entire list.
CASBA Website can be found at <a  target="_blank" href="http://www.strawbuilding.org";>http://www.strawbuilding.org</a>