Re: GSBN:Fwd: CASBA_ Pea Gravel

We've supported the use of pea-gravel or some other broken plane, not
because we think the wall will be drenched with water, but based on our
observation of vapor migration and accumulation through bales.  Here's our
reasoning:

   - Vapor is continually moving around inside a bale wall as temperature
   conditions change. Many observations have been made of considerable diurnal
   movement of moisture within a bale wall, and significant differentials in
   humidity between the top and bottoms of a wall.
   - It's easily observed that as moisture migrates through a bale it is
   prone to stop and accumulate at any impermeable surface, and reach a
   concentration where rotting will occur. This is why we avoid vapor barriers
   on the bale sides. The same conditions can occur at the tops and bottoms of
   a wall.
   - Bear in mind, also that the sills are at the bottom of the wall
   where the most wetting occurs from direct rain and rain splash from the
   ground.  Some of this moisture will initially migrate to the bottom of the
   wall by gravity, especially in conditions of cold rain.  As David Arkin is
   wont to say, good boots, good hat, etc.
   - Some moisture may come from the footings: even though there might be
   some vapor barrier in place, it is often imperfect due to foundation design
   and execution.
   - Leaks do occur  around windows and cracks, and gravel does provide a
   path for dissipating moisture.
   - Accumulated rot in one place, the bottom of the bales, could
   compromise the integrity of the wall.

I understand that many of us are very, ah, fixated, on R-values and
buttoning up our coats.  I would not trade increased insulation for
cautious vapor management. We typically use two 4x plates of wood, which is
good for at least R-10---slightly low but not so far from optimal for
horizontal insulation when located low in the building shell, in our
climate.  We have also used, in colder climates, a scheme we learned from
Ken and Polly, simply alternating strips of rigid insulation with channels
of pea gravel, so you can get another 4-5" of rigid down there and make Al
Gore a little happier...

John "Gore-Techs" Swearingen

--
John Swearingen