Re: GSBN:Re: Fire-Resistant Straw Bale and Fighting a SB fire

At 9:48 AM -0800 12/20/07, Bob Bolles wrote:

 > In the case of the building fire that Chief Fisher encountered, the
 plaster lath was attached to one side of steel studs and girts, and the
 Bales were placed on the inside of the studs, creating an air cavity
 between. Additionally, the barrier between the top of the Bales and the
 attic was OSB. The fire was apparently started by a welding torch.

Obviously, this is pretty far from what we consider "best practice".

 We would appreciate all of your ideas about how to design and build
 Fire-Resistant SBC and what you would like firefighters to know about
 > dealing with a fire in a Straw Bale Building

Considering the number of fires we've seen that have taken down
entire houses, I suggest that some clay fire breaks within the walls
at various locations would be wise.  The "french dipped" method of
coating every bale in clay slip before installation would probably be
most effective, but is also time consuming, heavy, and messy (but
messy in a good way).  Alternatively, a layer of clay mortar could be
incorporated at various locations vertically and/or horizontally,
stopping or at least slowing the spread of fire within a bale wall.