RE: GSBN:Re: Fire-Resistant Straw Bale and Fighting a SB fire

Bbbobbb,

Seems to me that your fire marshall has had about the most perfect case to
write up.  They did just about everything wrong.  Using steel studs, they
placed a chimney right against the bales.  Using combustible material in a
location that should have been a fire-stop, they added fuel to an eventual
fire.  And for heaven's sake, what were they thinking of using a welding
torch on a straw bale wall.  Don't they know it is easier and safer to use
a hay saw?

I suggest that you (1) buy him a copy of Design of Straw Bale Buildings
(Bruce King, et al), and (2) go into Bill's archives and find the rash of
suggestions that came out the last two times this became a GSBM question.
There were a number of good sources listed in both places.

It seems that this comes up every couple years.  Perhaps a listing of the
best sources for addressing this question could be collected and posted on
CASBA's web site.  In fact, the best sources for addressing all the common
questions should be on virtually every web site dedicated to straw bale
construction.  The Last Straw web site has a very good set of resources
listed, but I am thinking of a list that is sorted by topic: fire, water,
strength, vermin, energy, beauty, etc.  Not being capable myself of even
creating my own simple web site, I make this suggestion in the spirit of
someone who says, "someone ought to do it."  ...then goes back to what he
was doing.

Nehemiah Stone
stoneandstraw@...

Features of