[GSBN] Straw on edge with stick (stud) frame

Dan Smith dan at dsaarch.com
Tue Jul 5 08:48:13 CDT 2016


Hi Jim,

We’ve been working with a similar system of bales "on end" between 2x studs at 2’ o.c., with ply/fiber board on the exterior, and have a large addition to an adobe house planned to use it soon, working with Bruce King as engineer.  I’d be happy to chat as well and send details.

Dan Smith


d s a architects

1107 Virginia Street | Berkeley | CA 94702
ph. 510.526.1935 | www.dsaarch.com



> On Jul 5, 2016, at 6:35 AM, Jim Carfrae <jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:
> 
> Hi Jacob 
>  
> Thanks for the response.
>  
> I have been experimenting with a version of this technique myself, and I principally wanted to find out if:
> 1)    I was using someone else’s ‘protected’ design.
> 2)    It might feature in an upcoming academic paper, and I wanted to know who to reference as the originator.
>  
> The post that I saw had a photo of a demonstration wall section and a couple of SketchUp drawings – Was that you?
>  
> Cheers, 
>  
> Jim  
>  
>  
> From: Gsbn <gsbn-bounces at sustainablesources.com <mailto:gsbn-bounces at sustainablesources.com>> on behalf of Jacob Racusin <buildnatural at googlemail.com <mailto:buildnatural at googlemail.com>>
> Reply-To: Global Straw Building Network <gsbn at sustainablesources.com <mailto:gsbn at sustainablesources.com>>
> Date: Tuesday, 5 July 2016 at 13:39
> To: Global Straw Building Network <gsbn at sustainablesources.com <mailto:gsbn at sustainablesources.com>>
> Subject: Re: [GSBN] Straw on edge with stick (stud) frame
>  
> Hi Jim, 
>  
> We've been doing this technique for a few years now, in a few different ways. We coined a term "StrawCell" to describe the hybrid system, a web search for that term should turn up a few blog posts and videos. I'm not sure if I was the originator of the post, as others have been using this technique as well, but I'd be happy to chat further.
>  
> Cheers,
> Jacob
>  
> On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Jim Carfrae <jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk <mailto:jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk>> wrote:
>> Hello
>>  
>> A couple of years ago details of a bale wall system using bales on edge against a stick frame were posted here.
>> I can’t find the original post, and would like to contact the originators of the idea.
>> Can anyone out there help?
>>  
>> Jim
>>  
>> Dr Jim Carfrae
>> Environmental Building Group
>> Room 302 Roland Levinsky Building
>> School of Architecture, Design and Environment
>> Plymouth University
>> Drake Circus
>> Plymouth PL4 8AA
>>  
>> 07880 551922
>> jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk <mailto:jim.carfrae at plymouth.ac.uk>
>>  
>>  <http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>
>> 
>> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> Gsbn mailing list
>> Gsbn at sustainablesources.com <mailto:Gsbn at sustainablesources.com>
>> http://sustainablesources.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/gsbn <http://sustainablesources.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/gsbn>
> 
> 
>  
> -- 
> Jacob Deva Racusin 
> Co-Owner
> New Frameworks Natural Design/Build
> 1 Mill St., Ste. 163
> Burlington, VT 05470
> (802) 782-7783
> jacob at newframeworks.com <mailto:jacob at newframeworks.com>
> www.newframeworks.com <http://www.newframeworks.com/>
>  <http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>
> 
> This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care, Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form. _______________________________________________
> Gsbn mailing list
> Gsbn at sustainablesources.com <mailto:Gsbn at sustainablesources.com>
> http://sustainablesources.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/gsbn <http://sustainablesources.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/gsbn>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://sustainablesources.com/pipermail/gsbn/attachments/20160705/271c4445/attachment.html>


More information about the Gsbn mailing list